Family Members


If you are interested in learning the path to getting your loved ones to the United States or getting your new husband, wife, partner a green card, please contact us to discuss your case and we can clarify your options.

Immediate relatives of a U.S. Citizen (spouse, unmarried child under the age of 21, parent of U.S. citizen over 21) are eligible for visas immediately. Depending on if they are in the United States, and how they entered the country, they are eligible to apply for a green card in the United States.

U.S. citizens wishing to bring a foreign national fiancé(e) living abroad to the United States to marry may apply for a K-1 fiancé(e) visa. The visa requires that the marriage occur within 90 days of the foreign fiancé(e) entering the United States.

Preference Categories: Other Relatives of U.S Citizens/Green Card Holders

Preference categories apply to family members who are not immediate relatives (not a spouse, unmarried child under the age of 21, parent of U.S. citizen over 21) . The visas allotted for these categories are subject to annual numerical limits. A visa becomes available to a preference category based on the priority date (the date the Form I-130 was filed). Preference categories are grouped as follows:

First preference: Unmarried, adult sons and daughters of U.S. citizens (adult means 21 or older).

Second Preference (2A): Spouses of green card holders, unmarried children (under 21) of permanent residents.

Second Preference (2B):  Unmarried adult sons and daughters of permanent residents.

Third Preference: Married sons and daughters (any age) of U.S. citizens.

Fourth Preference: Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens.

USCIS and the Department of State publish a visa bulletin each month with updated priority dates. You can view it to determine how long it will take before your family members will be able to obtain green cards.